Welcome to Lindum House
A brief history of the house …
Lindum House is steeped in history and records show that there was a dwelling on the site of the present house as early as 1792. It was first purchased by John Allison, a lime burner, with the road outside named Allison Road. This later changed to the present Sewell Road. In 1851 the house was owned by John Hartley, a prominent merchant of corn, coal, bricks and timber, who extended the house to include a north wing and new gardens to the south east.
In 1867 the house was acquired by George Hopkins Shipley, a local schoolmaster who changed the name of building to Lindum House, which has been its name ever since and by 1871 had established a boarding school for boys.
By 1905, Lindum House had reverted back to a private residence and by 1919 the famous name of Ruston became associated with the house when Colonel Seward Ruston, Chairman of Ruston and Hornsby, bought it as his family home. In 1938, Ruston and Hornsby then acquired the house.
Early in 2015 the Lincoln service business carried out a feasibility study with a view to undertaking a full refurbishment of the house. The first phase of the refurbishment program has just been completed and the house is now open for business, we look forward to seeing you soon!